Serving: 2 to 3 Persons
1/2 cup urid dal
1/4 cup moong dal
salt to taste
1 1/2 cup thin buttermilk
1 1/2 cup thick yogurt
sugar 2 to 3 tspn
salt 1/2 to 3/4 tspn
1/2 tspn ginger paste/grated ginger
1 tbspn coriander seeds powder+cumin seeds powder
1 tspn red chilly powder
1 tbspn chopped coriander leaves
tamarind sweet chutney (optional)
1. Wash and soak urid dal and moong dal in the water for 4-5 hours. Grind both the dals together to make a fine paste. Do not use water for grinding. Add salt and mix well. If mixture is too thick add minimum water. We need thick batter for making pakode.
2. Make thin Buttermilk and keep in the refrigerator.
3. Beat thick yogurt. Add ginger paste,salt and sugar and mix well. Add little water to make it slightly thin and refrigerator.
4. Take cold water in a vessel and keep it aside. Heat oil in a wok. Drop 2 tbspn of batter in the hot oil and deep fry pakode till golden brown.
5. Make pakode in 3 to 4 batches. Put hot pakode in the cold water and soak till 2nd batch of pakodas are done. Remove soaked pakode from the water; squeeze a bit and put them in the buttermilk. Pakodas will change its golden brown colour to light brown and fluff a bit.
6. Refrigerate and soak all the pakodas in the buttermilk for 1-2 hours.
7. Place soaked pakodas (vada) in the serving bowl. Pour some beaten yogurt on it. Sprinkle coriander seeds-cumin powder. Sprinkle red chilly powder. Put tamarind chutney. Garnish with coriander leaves and serve chilled.
Tip: While deep frying if you see that ,your batter is not taking shape add some rava (sooji) in the batter for better consistency.