This delicious and popular Parsi dish. It can also made with chicken or lamb.Dhansak is traditionally served with Brown Rice and Cucumber salad.
Serving: 3 to 4 Persons
For making gravy-
2 cups chopped fenugreek leaves
1 small potato,peeled
1 small eggplant/ Brinjal
1 small piece of bottle gourd (approx. 2" in size)
1 cup finely chopped onion
1/2 cup toor dal
1/4 cup moong dal
1/2 cup coriander leaves
2 green chilies
5-6 garlic cloves
1/2 tspn coriander seeds powder
1/2 tspn cumin seeds powder
1 tbspn lemon juice
2 tbspn ghee
For making Rice-
1 1/2 cup basmati rice
3 cups water
3 tspn sugar
2 tbspn ghee
1.Wash toor dal and moong dal. Pressure cook together with funugreek leaves,potato,eggplant and piece of bottle gourd till tender.
2. Mash cooked dal and all cooked veggies together or grind in the mixer to make fine thick puree.
3. Grind coriander leaves,green chilies,garlic cloves,coriander seeds-cumin seeds powder,peppercorn and cloves to make a paste.
4. Heat ghee in a wok. Add chopped onion and stir till translucent. Add ground masala of spices and coriander leaves. Stir masala for 5-8 minutes till aromatic then add puree of dal and veggies. Mix well.
5. Add lemon juice ,salt and cook gravy for 3-4 minutes.
6. For making brown rice- Wash and soak rice for 10-15 minutes. Heat a cookware and add sugar. When it will melt and burn, add ghee and mix well. Add soaked rice and stir for 3-4 minutes. Rice will turn brown in color because of the burnt sugar. Add water twice the total amount of rice (here 3 cups). Cover cookware with a tight lid. Cook rice completely on medium heat.
7. Serve brown rice in a plate. Make some round space in the rice and put hot gravy in that and serve with cucumber salad.