Read this recipe in Marathi
Servings: 4 Persons
1 bunch of spinach
1/2 cup Tuar dal
1/4 cup finely chopped onion
5-6 chopped garlic cloves
1 tspn red chilly powder
1/4 tspn turmeric powder
1/4 tspn dry mango powder
1/2 tspn coriander seeds powder
1/2 tspn cumin seeds powder
salt and sugar asa per taste
3 tbspn oil
1. Pressure cook tuar dal. Then Mash cooked tuar dal. Chop spinach as finely as possible.
2. Heat oil in a saucepan. Add chopped garlic cloves. When it turns golden brown,add chopped onion.
3. Stir onion for 2 to 3 minutes. Add turmeric powder,coriander seeds powder,cumin seeds powder and red chilly powder.
4. Add mashed tuar dal ,sugar,salt and dry mango powder. Add little water if you think dal becomes too thick. Boil for 5 minutes.
5. Next add chopped spinach and boil for another 2 minutes.
6. Serve dal palak with roti or rice.
Substitute for dry mango powder: tamarind pulp or tomato
Tip: Don't cook spinach in the pressure cooker with dal or don't cover the saucepan after adding spinach it will change the green colour of spinach. That will also reduces percentage the vitamins in the spinach.