1/4 kg pomfret cut into 3-4 pieces ( white/golden pompano)
1 small onion,finely chopped
1/2 cup fresh grated coconut
1/4 cup coconut milk
1/2- 1 tspn tamarind pulp
1 1/2 tspn coriander seeds
1/2 tspn turmeric powder
1 tspn red chilly powder
salt to taste
2 tbspn oil
1. Rub 1/2 tspn turmeric powder,1/4 tspn red chilly powder,1/4 tspn tamarind pulp and salt to the pomfret and marinate it for 1 hour.
2. Grind 1/4 cup chopped onion,fresh grated coconut and coriander seeds to make a fine paste.
3. Heat oil in a saucepan and add 1/4 cup chopped onion. Stir for 3-4 minutes and then add turmeric powder, red chilly powder and pomfret pieces. Stir gently. Cover saucepan with a lid and let it cook for 5-8 minutes.
4. Add coconut milk and tamarind pulp, stir gently. Cover saucepan with a lid and let it cook for 5 minutes.
5. Add ground masala and salt mix well. Add 3/4 cup to 1 cup of water and boil curry for 8-10 minutes. Add salt,tamarind pulp or red chilly powder if required.
6. Garnish curry with coriander leaves and serve with rice.
Tip: Stir fish pieces very gently,it becomes very delicate if it is cooked.
For this curry, you can use kingfish( mackerel) or Prawns( shrimps) instead of pomfret (pompano).