Khatkhate is a very special Goan and Konkani preparation made with mix vegetables and toor dal. This is a very healthy and very tasty dish can become one dish meal. Usually it serves with chapati or rice. People make khatkhate specially in festivals or in weddings.
Khatkhate is always a part of Ganesh Chaturthi at my grandmother's place. Khatkhate and Ukdiche modak is a very good combination!
Read this recipe in Marathi
Servings: 3 to 4 Persons
1/2 cup toor dal
1/2 cup fresh grated coconut
a hand full raw peanuts
1 green chilly
2 american corncobs
1 small potato,cut into medium pieces
7-8 medium pieces of sweet potato
7-8 medium pieces of capsicum (green pepper)
7-8 medium pieces of cucumber
5-6 medium pieces of radish
5-6 green beans, 1" long pieces
5-6 medium pieces of red pumpkin
5-6 medium pieces of ridge gourd
1/2 tspn turmeric powder
1/2 tspn red chilly powder
salt and sugar as per taste
2 tbspn oil
1/2 tspn mustard seeds
1/4 tspn asafoetida
5-6 curry leaves
1. Make 2 1/2" - 3" pieces of sweetcorn. Pressure cook toor dal with sweetcorn pieces,green chilly and raw peanuts.
2. Put some water in a cookware and cook other vegetables separately till it becomes tender.
3. Mash cooked dal. Add all cooked vegetables, sweetcorn pieces and raw peanuts to the mashed dal. Add some water to make it thin .Mix well.
4. Grind coconut to make fine paste. Add ground coconut, kokum,salt and sugar to the dal and vegetables.
5. Add turmeric powder,red chilly powder and boil gravy for 5-10 minutes.
6. Heat oil in a small saucepan. Add mustard seeds. Let it crackle. Add curry leaves and asafoetida. Give tadka to the gravy.
7. serve gravy with chapati or rice.
1. Radish,potato,sweet potato,corn cobs,pumpkin and green beans are the main vegetables in this dish, you can add more seasonal vegetables of your choice.
2. You can use tamarind if kokum is not available.