Serving: 3 to 4 Persons
1 cup black eye beans
½ cup finely chopped onion
1 tspn red chilly powder
1/ tspn garam masala
½ tspn turmeric powder
½ tspn mustard seeds
1/ tspn asafetida
2 tbspn chopped coriander leaves
1 pinch dry mango powder
¼ tspn sugar
Salt to taste
1. Soak black eye beans for 8-10 hours in warm water. Then pressure cook them with sufficient water and salt. Make 2 whistles to make beans soft. More whistles will make beans over cooked.
2. Heat oil in a wok. Add mustard seeds. Let it crackle. Add asafetida and chopped onion. Stir onion for 2-3 minutes.
3. Add turmeric powder and red chilly powder. Then add cooked beans with excess water.
4. Add dry mango powder ,garam masala, coriander leaves, sugar and salt to taste. Mix well and cover wok with a lid. Let it cook for 5 minutes.
5. Turn off the heat. Serve usal with roti or rice.